Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Industrial Steampunk Surrealism?

Is there such a thing? I've pondered just exactly what to call my style before, it's clearly a melding of styles, a hint of steampunk, a dash of industrial, and just enough reality for good measure, does that make it surreal or a cyborg? Wouldn't it be cool to come up with a unique name? Either way, it is clearly unique and surprising and I have to admit I am having fun!
Steampunk Crow Pendant
 The background of steampunk is that it evolved out of cyberpunk in 1970's literature then moved onto everything from art to jewelry to film, to a whole subculture that exists today. The basic theme of steampunk is of an alternate time line that split off (and pretty stuck in)  the late Victorian period/early 1900's. This alternate time line is very much based on the steam engine and early flight but invention was rampant! So you have Victorian era clothing with a sense of aviator style and some pretty awesome sci-fi for good measure.
Steampunk Butterfly Pendant

Steampunk inventions are generally entirely mechanical, not organic in any way. You might imagine that most steampunk paraphernalia are fairly vacant of vibrant color. There is a clear difference between what I'm making and the traditional steampunk aesthetic so I've been sitting back waiting to be called out by some serious steampunkers about me calling my stuff steampunk, and I couldn't argue with them.

Steampunk Hummingbird Pendant
Recently I had my first Daily Deviation on DeviantArt and was able to interact with a lot of folks about my pieces. One comment was that it looked more like a "mechanical creature rather than a creature made of mechanics". Yes! That's the advantage of working with polymer clay,  I do get to add a sense of reality to it. It's not all mechanics. Another realization is that's why I get to add color and it works, because that piece of a real critter is there.
Steampunk Gingerbread Dude


I got  a lot of comments about how they had never thought those colors belonged or would work in steampunk but it worked with mine. Hundreds of comments, not a single call out, I thought that rocked! One of the big Steampunk Facebook pages even posted my shop to their wall. It was like a stamp of approval that what I was doing was OK with the steampunkers, what a relief!

So someone may come along at some point and try to put a name to what I'm doing, and that's fine, I'll call it what ever I want though, and I'm gonna roll with it!

Don't forget to look for steampunk jewelry and other stuff in my online shop!

16 comments:

  1. I have been watching your work progress on Craftster and I think its just astounding. I have started experimenting with some steampunk pieces and the way you blend the harsh industrial lines with organic grace is inspired.

    You should create a new name for your style. What about Orga-Punk or Bio-Punk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't seen your work before, so I'm pretty much blown away. Steampunk with a little humor! I'm in love with the gingerbread dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw you on PCDaily. I ADORE the hummingbird (hummingborg?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my to have such talent!! Fantastic designs.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your work,and it is most definitely steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really cool. Found you on Polymer Clay Daily!! Love the hummingbird. What do you think of this for a style name:
    CyborIndy Punk? Love the Santa and Gingerbread Guys too- for some reason they remind me of The Wizard of Oz a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  7. =) thanks so much everyone!! I am getting lots of suggestions for a style name from everywhere, not sure I'm ready to coin my own style, yet, though. I'm just so happy it's appealing lol and that I can be inspiring to others, too, that's an amazing thing!

    Thank everyone!
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. j'adore tout! je pense à bio-indus ?
    I love all you do! i think bio-indus?

    cyber-bio, organo-punk, steamborg, mecano-bio, organo-robotik ^^

    tellement d'inspiration!
    so inspiring ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou =) lol those are nice names!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it matters what you call your style (although tagging is important), your delightful pieces speak for themselves - Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first thought was "faux steampunk," but then I realized that you do use some metals. Maybe it should be called "lovely steampunk," because, while steampunk can be extremely attractive and interesting, I do not usually find it "beautiful." Your creations are beautiful. This is all wonderful stuff! Stunningly beautiful.
    Jan at CITY-o-Clay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan, thankyou so much =) Lovely steampunk indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking up steampunk and saw your bee! So glad to know your art! Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou so Amy, that is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wasn't going to join in the naming, but now I have to. I believe "Lynnsteam" makes the right combination, keeps your connection to steampunk while incorporation what you bring to the style. Whatever you call it, keep it up! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete